Saturday, December 5, 2009

How do I do my makeup to look like someone from a black and white film (think Pleasantville)?

I have a case of theater makeup. I want to paint myself grey scale for Halloween.





Any pics and websites on the topic would be great.


Thanks.How do I do my makeup to look like someone from a black and white film (think Pleasantville)?
Oddly enough, I did the very same thing for Hallowe'en a few years ago. My wife and I were Femme Fatale and Detective from a '40's Film Noir.





First, choose your clothing carefully. Black, white or gray only.





If you have a theatrical makeup place nearby, get a light grey cream makeup for your base, white for highlights and a darker grey for lowlights. Do not forget translucent powder and make-up remover. Ben Nye makes excellent makeup and Alboline is my favorite makeup remover.





1: Clean your face. This may sound ';Duh'; obvious, but the makeup will cling to your skin better.


2: Using a makeup sponge, cover your face, ears, neck, hands, and whatever body part may be seen with the light grey makeup.


3: Using a detail makeup brush, shadow in the cheeks below the cheekbones, under the eyes, and the sides of your nose, using the dark grey.


3: Highlight those shadows using the white.


4: Blend the tones so you have no sharp edges.


5: Pat (do not rub) the translucent powder on to any surface that has been made up.


6: (Muy Importante!) Take a moistened paper towel and pat all the surfaces that have just been powdered.





If you have any experience in applying theatrical makeup, use your familiar routine, just make it all grey. If you have none, go to Ben Nye's website. I think they still have tutorials.





Unless your natural hair color is jet-black, get a wash-out temporary silver hair dye. Do not get that stuff in an aerosol can. I simply looks ridiculous. Trust me on this one.





Your eyes and mouth will still give color, but your audience will be so jazzed about the grey thing that they will overlook this flaw.





Do not just give an overall grey tone to your skin. It just looks Robot-like and defeats your purpoise.





Practice this makeup before your big night. Make changes as they suit you, but remember: NO COLOR ANYWHERE.





Have fun and good luck.





Do not forget to send me some pix. I would love to see them





CiderHow do I do my makeup to look like someone from a black and white film (think Pleasantville)?
Have your cover-up so light brown it is grey. Hope I helped.








-Laila
try getting your skin really white with a really bright red lipstick
hey!


What you can do is get a white foundation or ';pancake'; and apply it to your entire face.


Then get a very light colored make up powder and put it on the spots on your face that, lack for a better word, protrude (like your chin, cheekbones, forehead, u can experiment with it on the nose).


Make sure it blends with the white at the edges of the color.


Then, if you have a light-ish blush, u can put that on.


Finally, put eye makeup and lip stick on however you want to.


I hope that helps.


You might want to try it before you actually wear it out.


O, one more thing, when you put the colored make up on your forehead, put it very light and only slightly darker on the sides


dont put the colored make up around your T-zone.


i found a pic of Judy Garland that might help, but im not sure. If you want it, let me know
Kind of easy...Pale complexion, waved hair, red lipstick, do the eye brows kind of Joan Crawford, sweater, saddle oxfords, and .....visite vintage stores and thrift shops for clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
sunburn